Friday, December 7, 2007

Night Riding Improved

I went out for another night ride last night, it was much better than before. I've been taking my road bike out since I've been staying mostly on the pave, but last night I wanted to try my rigid singlespeed mountain bike. Worlds better. There's something much more confidence inspiring about a 29x2.3 knobby leading the way into the relative unknown of the darkness than a skinny little 700x23. I can't go as fast(probably a good thing at night) pushing the fat tires, but it doesn't really matter how fast I go, it's all about working out at the intensity and duration that I should be at this stage of training. The weather was very nice, temps right around 60 or so. All I wore special was a dry-fit undershirt and my arm warmers(probably could have done without these). I rode for about 2 hours and covered 30 miles. I rode the same route as last time, except I continued on past Eldridge all the way to the Beltway before turning around. I even threw in some dirt and spent a little time at the skate park. :) This is the kind of ride I need to be doing a few times during the week right now to get started with my fitness base. It could be a little longer, but I have to eat dinner and spend time with my wife and sleep sometime.

No comments: