Thursday, January 26, 2012

Peacocks

Earlier this week we went out to eat dinner with Adam & Clare at Clay's. The food is pretty good, but it's also a really neat place for kids. They have animals outside (penned away from the dining areas, yes) including horses, rabbits and chickens for the kids to see and pet. They also have a sandpit for the kids to play in and a place for pony rides. Unfortunately on this night it was dark and rainy so no playing, but we did get to see a few of the animals and Ben petted one of the horses. They also have a couple of peacocks that roam around, the place backs up to the woods so sometimes they're out there but sometimes they'll come inside the fence if there aren't too many people around. This night there was hardly anybody there, so one of  them was under the gazebo staying out of the rain. I took Ben out to see it, he thought it was really cool. He walked right over to it and it let him get pretty close.

There's the peacock.
Yesterday after work I'd hoped to spin the legs a little bit but it had been raining all day and it was pretty nasty outside, already being sick since last week I decided to stay out of the weather and start prepping the bike for the weekend. I gotta pay my guys at Sugar Cycles a quick visit this afternoon to get my wheel checked out after breaking a spoke this past weekend, then everything should be ready to go. We're pulling out mid-day tomorrow. I'm a bit worried about the distance of the full marathon, after my rides last weekend I was pretty beat and they were only 4 hours and 40 miles. The marathon is about 52 miles so I'm expecting to be out there at least 5 hours. I think I'd be happy with that time. Hopefully I can pace myself and manage my nutrition well, otherwise it's going to be a really tough day. I guess the last time I did a 5 hour day was last year at Ouachita. Probably not a good thing heading into this race, but we'll see what happens. I'm not really there to race it, just get time on the bike and have some fun while I'm at it. The trails at Flat Rock Ranch are really fun so hopefully I'll have an enjoyable day.

No comments: