Friday, July 20, 2007

Road Rash-In this case, hurting is bad.

More race reports to come, but I thought I'd add this short little tidbit for today. I had my first road bike wreck last night. I was on a fast group ride, and we were getting to the end, so we were reaching terminal velocity through this neighborhood with several speed bumps. I'd been just going over them, but I was getting tired and my wrist was hurting bad, so I decided to go around the last one. Mistake. I got a little too far to the side, and wound up over in the gutter area of the street on the smooth concrete. I hit a wet spot while cranking on the bike, and my wheels just came right out from under me. So I went sliding on my belly across the asphalt. Ouch. Try rolling out of a car going 27 mph, you'll know how it felt. Damage: a couple spots of road rash to the left elbow, a huge raw spot on the front of my left hip (think softball size), a nice cut on top of my left knee that still won't quit bleeding, and another spot of road rash to the lower left knee. A few scratches to the bike, but nothing major. We'll live to ride another day. Tomorrow's Sugar Cycles Shop Ride, to be specific. :) I hope to do some good work up front tomorrow and maybe try a few jumps off the front.

No comments: