Tuesday, March 18, 2008

John Neilson, 1921-2008


My grandfather passed away today. He made it to his 87th birthday last Friday before losing his battle with cancer. I don't know how to feel, I don't know what to say or what to do. I can only hope that being there for my dad will be enough comfort for him. I will be a pallbearer in his funeral Thursday, that will be a first for me. We will have to go through Easter without him, only made worse by the fact that we have just begun to spend holidays with him over the last few years. I hardly knew him, but I will miss him dearly. I wish we'd spent more time together. I guess it hasn't really sunk in yet, even though I knew it was coming I still picture him lying there in his bed sleeping or maybe talking to me a little. The best memories I will keep were when he came to my parents house at Christmas less than three months ago. He drove himself there, opened gifts with us, and he was totally capable and able to stand outside and visit and take pictures with us. But now he's gone. Miss you Gran'daddy.


No comments: