Thursday, January 29, 2015

Commuting When I Shouldn't

Less than a day after pontificating my so-called "wisdom" on commuting I went and made a mildly bad decision this morning. I always check the weather first thing when I wake up on mornings I plan to commute. I just want to be sure no freak overnight storm or polar vortex blew in before I bother getting out of bed at 5am. This morning the rain chances and temps looked ok, it was warmer than it had been the last couple of mornings, but there was a "Dense Fog Advisory" in effect. Usually this would be an immediate reason to roll back over and get an extra hour in bed, but this morning I wasn't having it. I'd been set all week on commuting 3 days, even though NONE of the days were ideal for doing so as I had places to be at 6pm. This meant rushing home, showering and changing, and then pretty much right back out the door. I also knew that commuting was about the only way I was going to get any miles this week, hence being set on it. After seeing the Fog Advisory I decided I'd at least check it out, so I looked out the window. It didn't look too bad so I decided to go for it. "If it gets too bad I'll just turn around and at least have gotten a little spin this morning" I told myself. Of course I didn't do that. I rode through some pretty thick soup, my bike and I were pretty damp when I got to work. Luckily I didn't encounter any traffic on the worst sections. I think I would have been seen well enough with my bright light, but still the conditions were much less than ideal. When you're riding on the road, in the dark, super early in the morning, it's probably not the best idea to do so in conditions any less than ideal; dry and good visibility. I got away with it this morning with no close calls, but I probably won't try these circumstances again.

Thankfully I didn't encounter any bridges like in the background on this foggy morning.

No comments: