Friday, February 10, 2012

Riding

I've been getting in a fair amount of riding the last few weeks. Last week was a good one at 114 miles and a bit over 7 hours. This week I've only done about 54 miles and 3 1/2 hours so far, but I'm racing this weekend so I backed it off just a little. Of course I don't have any weekend miles in that yet, either. The only downside is that both weeks have been mostly all riding on pavement. It's been pretty wet around here, and while I'm very thankful to be catching up on rainfall, it has kept me off the trails. We need rain worse than I need to ride trails though, so no complaining here. The Warda Race is this weekend, with a lot of twisty singletrack and short punchy climbs. That's quite a bit different than spinning along on the road, but is usually my strong point so that should help. I'm really quite out of shape these days, so I don't expect anything better than last place but if I can ride strong for the full race I'll be happy enough. I also have to reclaim my throne on Gas Pass from Payson McElveen.

Last Sunday was mine and Raine's seventh anniversary. Her mom and grandma came down for the weekend to watch Ben so we could relax a bit and go on a date. We went to Taste of Texas for dinner Saturday night. We've been going there for our anniversary for a few years now, and have made it a bit of a tradition. Their quail bites are one of the best things I've ever eaten, but everything is very good there. It's a long wait, but how often do you sit with your spouse for an hour with absolutely NOTHING else to do but spend time together? Looking at it in that light, it's a good thing. And we always have the Snickers pie with a sparkler (we don't eat the sparkler) for dessert. I'm very thankful and blessed to have married such a great girl. We've had a great go of it so far, with a lot of fun times, great stories, and an amazing son. I can't wait to see what the next 7 years and beyond will have in store for us.

Snickers pie!

No comments: