Monday, March 23, 2009

Waco MTB Race

Yesterday was the Waco race, and as always, it was absolutely brutal. I took off the line with a little more effort than last race, planning to stay with the pack at least until the woods. I went into the hole in last place, which was just fine by me. I had no desire to blow up early so I set my own pace that I thought I could hold for three laps. I picked off a few guys here and there to move up to about 17th, but then started to fade. I bonked hard on the third lap to finish 18th, DFL out of 20 starters. Oh well. More races are coming, and I have to remember that I'm behind on my training and I'm just training through these races right now, putting in the volume to get me through the Ouachita Challenge. Hopefully I'll have better fitness for the XC races towards the end of the season which is what we're planning for. It's just tough to be the whipping boy week after week. I could open up my bag of excuses but that wouldn't change anything, right now I'm just slow. I had a decent Fall season in the expert class, so I know I'm capable, I just have to get back to that point.

1 comment:

aka Kathy said...

How many laps did you do at tempo the day before and do you think that might be relative to your race results?