Thursday, June 26, 2008

Crit race

Last night was crit race #4 at Memorial Park. I've done all of them so far but this has definitely been the best one yet. I was able to stay in the pack the whole time and finish with them on the lead lap. I even found myself on the front a couple of times taking pulls. I expected big attacks when I got to the front, as I thought I would be slowing the pack up, but that didn't happen so I guess I did alright. I thought about going for a prime, but it wasn't as easy to move to the front as I thought it would be and I was afraid of blowing myself up and getting dropped so I decided to stay in the group. I got some new wheels last week, I don't know if they really helped or not, but they definitely should help as they are much more aero and I think lighter than my old wheels. They do look really good, that's worth some speed right there.

My HR numbers were pretty good from last night, I was able to hold a high effort level the whole race and not get blown like I've been doing. My avg. was 184bpm, my max was 196. I spent 32 minutes above 90% of max HR. These races are shorter than my mtb races but much more intense, so I'm hoping this will help me up the intensity level in mtb races. I know that I need to be doing long rides to go along with these races, though, 50 minutes on the bike at a time isn't going to cut it when the race is 2-2.5 hours long.

I don't know if anybody else regularly reads this except me, but I should be updating much more frequently now that I have a new phone and I can blog(with pics) from it. Whether it's a good story like this one or just a short blurb about something interesting I saw I'm gonna try to write something every day.

No comments: